Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Great Start

I have been in Ufa for a week now. Days have kind of drug out because not much has happened during the days yet. School starts Thursday, so I expect that to change then. I don’t care though that the days seem like they have gone on forever though. They have been great. There is an American family that lives here who does many things with the community, and they have helped us meet people. There is also an American who is studying at BGU as well who has introduced us to many people.
There is a women’s club that meets once a month, and there was one on Friday that I was able to attend. I got to meet many great women. Then Saturday there was a picnic where even more people showed up. I was able to meet more people just by throwing a football and Frisbee and playing volleyball and soccer. Sunday I attended the church the American family goes to. The service was a little different than normal because the people who usually lead music were either out of town or sick. But that was ok because they just asked who could lead a few songs, and Chris, one of the Americans, and a woman in the church got up and led two songs. Then there were two messages. The second seemed more like a discussion. I’m not sure if that’s how it usually is, but I guess I’ll find out soon. Sunday night I had the chance to attend a Bible discussion group. Then Monday there was an English club at the Carr’s apartment. There were probably 40-50 people in that apartment. Two groups meet. One is a beginners group and the other is intermediate. I was in each group for about 45 minutes. I loved all of it. I liked the intermediate because everyone knew English pretty well, so I could easily talk to almost everyone in there. The beginner group was also fun. While I was in there, they played a game and sung a song, both of which were repetitive in some way. That helped them remember different words.
As you see, I’ve done a lot in the past week, but I have also had a lot of time to relax and spend time in the Word and in prayer. I don’t know how I would be able to be so far away from home for so long without my Father.
Well, as I mentioned earlier, I start school on Thursday. I’ll let you know how that goes. J
Things I am thankful for today:
All of the people I have met so far
Having finally figured out how to get everywhere I need to go walking.  (I know how to get to school on a bus, but 6 of the main roads are being changed to one way in just over a week, including the road I live on. So I’ll have to relearn that later. But I’m ok with walking while the weather is still nice.)
Beautiful weather
My home church
The MTSU BCM

No comments:

Post a Comment